Thursday, September 10, 2009

Well, today didn't go quite as planned. The procedure that was supposed to take place was a J-tube or Jejunostomy Feeding Tube was to be placed in his belly today. However, when we got to the UVA Medical Center, the MD performing the procedure said they couldn't do it. The PEG feeding tube he currently has should not be removed or altered for at least 6 weeks after it's been installed. It will be 4 weeks procedure. Kyle was already anaesthetised, so they went ahead and did some x-rays on his jaw, as per his Dentist's request to get his dental issues taken care of. And...while we were at the medical center, we discovered that Kyle has a C-Diff infection. What this is - Clostridium difficile - is a bacterium that causes upset stomachs, diarrhea and while everyone has it in their body, it becomes more pronounced in people who have just finished or are on long term antibiotics. So for a while, we have to wear gowns and gloves to make sure it's not carried out of the room and given to other patients. His medical team will closely monitor him and while other people can usually solve this issue by eating yogurt, he still can't have anything by we'll wait this one out.

He handled the drive and the moving really well and just took it easy for the rest of the day. Tomorrow, he will return to his regular schedule of physical therapy, occupational therapy, recreational therapy and speech therapy. He will also have some chest x-rays and neck x-rays done as the orthopedic team will be evaluting how much longer he will need to wear his halo! He is scheduled for a CT Scan in 2 weeks to determine if the bone in his neck has fused and if so, off comes the halo and on goes a hard collar. At the same time, they are begin working hard to wean him off the ventilator! Very exciting!!

1 comment:

  1. Kyle and the rest of the famlily.You all are in Noah's and my thoughts and prayers. Just incase you don't know who we are, Noah is Toby's grandson and of course I am Chris' ex. We all met when Noah was about 3 weeks or so old. We will continue to keep you in are prayers and I will try to donate something when I can on Kyles behalf. Love ya all.